Tuesday

3.How did you use media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages?

Throughout the entire process, technology has been a major factor in the production of both ancillary texts and the trailer. The use of technology allowed us as a group for the trailer and individually for the texts, to produce media products that can stands its own within the film market.
The initial piece of technology used was the website 'blogger' which I created in order me to store my work. After creating a piece of work for the project, I would upload it to the blog and label it within its specific section. The sections I made available within the blog were;


·        Ancillary Tasks - The Poster and Magazine Cover.
·        Audience Feedback - Information regarding feedback I received throughout both the ancillary texts and main task.
·        Evaluation - Where the four answered evaluation questions are.
·        Main Task - Where my final trailer will be.
·        Monthly Diary- Shows a paragraph explaining the progress I have made and what I have been doing over the month.
·        Planning - Where planning for both my ancillary texts and main task is.
·        Research - Where research carried out through the project is.
·       Target Audience - Where information regarding the target audience and any references regarding this will be.

By keeping my work on this blog allows me to see how my monthly progress is going, with it indicating the month as well as the amount of posts for each month.

Here shows the different labels avaliable within my blog. (Click to enlarge)

With this being a website application, my blog is open to the  public on the internet therefore allows people to access it and comments and leave feedback where possible. This tool was extremely beneficial within the early stages of planning as it allowed me to see whether or not some of the early clips shot were either acceptable for use or needed improvement.


Here shows the layout for public posting. (Click to enlarge)

Before I demonstrate how I used it, I must confirm how I went about when producing the work.
1.When creating any piece of work I did this via 'Microsoft Word', a Microsoft program that allows you to simply write down information onto a blank document. The reasons for this was this had spell-check, which could help me with small parts of punctuation and grammar if I needed it, something when writing straight into blogger didn't have, therefore creating a high probability of mistakes occurring.


The left indicates the layout of Microsoft Word, with the left deminstrating
the 'Blogger' layout. (Click to enlarge).

2. After producing a piece of work in 'Microsoft Word', I then copied my work and pasted into a new blog post.


Here shows the process of pasting work onto blogger. (Click to enlarge)

3. On the majority of posts I have placed pictures to help the blog look more exciting than just plain text. To add pictures this is done via blogger too, and involves me clicking the 'Insert Image' tab where I will then select a picture from a file and click 'Open'. It will then place the image on the potential post, able for me to move around into an appropriate position.


Here demonsrates the process for uploading picture. (Click to enlarge)

4. Once I have finished adding everything, I can click Publish where it will appear on my the front initial page of my blogger.

These two pieces of technology weren't designed for a specific section, but used throughout all stages of the project.
With regards to 'Planning', the main piece of technology used was again the internet but more specifically 'YouTube'. YouTube is an online website designed for uploading videos for the general public or personal use. Through YouTube I was able to focus on the planning of the trailer and gain research surrounding other films. Our main inspiration was 'Trainspotting'  and through researching 'Trainspotting' via this, gave us as group a chance to look at how well made this trailer was and study the forms and conventions used ready for the production of ours.
As well 'Research' I used YouTube for uploading videos too, giving myself the chance to place them on the blog.  Here shows the entire process used;

1. After creating a YouTube page via basic personal information, I was could then 'upload' a video of my choice. To start I would go to the top of the page and click 'Upload'.

2. This would bring me to an upload page, where I got the option to upload a single video, upload multiple videos or record using a webcam and upload that way. I would proceed by clicking 'Select single file from your computer'.

3.From here I would browse until I found my file and click 'Open'. From here the video will start to process and give me the chance to write a short description about it.

4. Once finished, click 'Add Video' and it will publish on the YouTube.

Here indicates the 4 steps mentioned abive. (Click to enlarge)



5. With me wanting to embed my YouTube videos onto my blog, I needed an embedding code. Through clicking on the video's name, the video will load via a different page. From here I would click 'Share' where the options of either sharing the link or embedding are made possible

Here demonstartes the process to locate the embedding code.(Click to enlarge)

6. By selecting embedding a code will come up which represents my video. I would copy this and proceed back to blogger.

7.Within blogger I would click 'new post, where it will bring me to a blank post. From here I would select 'HTML' which allows me to write code in, which is what the embedding code is. I will paste this in and finish by clicking publish.

Here show how to upload using the embed code.(Click to enlarge)
8. Like any other post this will paste onto the front page of my blog.

Here shows the final video placed on the blogger page. (Click to enlarge)


With me using YouTube at all stages of the project it wasn't used for one specific section ,however it did provide me with a lot of trailers to study as well as to upload videos onto the blog. With that in mind, it was a key piece of technology and something greatly valued.
The next piece of technology used was the video camera with regards to the construction of the main trailer. The camera used was a Canon-Legria FS36 which came with 41x optical zoom providing us with a good picture when zooming as well as an 8 hour battery time when fully charged.
Having this camera gave us the chance to put our planned trailer into effect and with its HD outcome gave a great finish.
Here is the camera used within the filming and construction process. (Click to enlarge)

To provide steadiness when filming, we used a camera stand which kept the camera still when recording and allowed us to all be in the shot without someone having to mind the camera. This in effect gave us an extra pair of hands and allowed us to finish our filming must quicker than anticipated.

Here is the stand used within the filming and construction process. (Click to enlarge)

After completing the footage, we had the chance to edit the overall trailer and put the clips into our desired sequence. The software used was 'Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum' a video making software that was complex but easy to use. It came with a number of effects and transitions that allowed me provide certain clips with a stronger and more effective look. Within the software it allowed me to match my effects and clips with the music providing a flow that is seen in all trailers.
The main effect and transitions used were 'colour correction' and 'black and white' both giving me a strong image when wanted. The black and white was used to signify the past therefore I needed this for a number of clips, with the 'colour correction' used to lighten the clips when outside

Here is a look at the editing timeline used for the trailer.(Click to enlarge)


As well as my trailer, my ancillary texts needed editing software and this came through 'Corel Draw x3'. Like 'Sony Vegas' Corel did have some complicated attributes however after much practice the software become easy to use. The best aspects about it was its HD look that stayed in placed even after zooming in. This allowed me to focus on minute detail and provide a poster and magazine cover that looks good. The range of texts and colours were most important during the production stages as its these which make up the poster and magazine cover. The font used was 'Trajon Pro' with the colours focusing around red and blue for cover and black and white for the poster.
In the end 'Corel draw' proved very effective and resulted in two good final ancillary texts.

A look at the corel software used for my poster and magazine cover. (Click to enlarge)


Within the evaluation stages, like talked previously, blogger was used to hold my work and again I followed the process talked about. However, within a lot of the questions answered I have provided website links on words, giving a firsthand chance to see what it is I'm talking about. This gives my evaluation for of a media look rather than just text on a page.
To produce this I would gain the link of the website and proceed by right clicking the word I want to provide a link for. From here a page would appear with a tab called ' Address' which I would then paste the link into and click Ok. Furthermore the word would turn blue indicating a link has been made.

 
Within the evaluation stages, like talked previously, blogger was used to hold my work and again I followed the process talked about. However, within a lot of the questions answered I have provided website links on words, giving a firsthand chance to see what it is I'm talking about. This gives my evaluation for of a media look rather than just text on a page.
To produce this I would gain the link of the website and proceed by right clicking the word I want to provide a link for. From here a page would appear with a tab called ' Address' which I would then paste the link into and click Ok. Furthermore the word would turn blue indicating a link has been made.

Here shows how hyperlinks re produced for words.(Click to enlarge)
To conclude its clear that throughout the entire process I have used  a number of pieces of technology, and in doing so produced work that I think fits the forms and conventions needed for success. Without these I would of struggled, and this indicates within the film industry how important a good range of technology is in order to produce a piece of media liable for achievement.

No comments:

Post a Comment